Town of Szendrő

Szendrő Város

The town of Szendrő (in Borsod-Abaúj- Zemplén county) is a settlement located at the gates of the Bódva valley, on the edge of the Cserehát and Aggtelek karst. It is connected to Miskolc (39km) and the country border (27km) by the main road No. 27. History has always played an important and prominent role for the 4400 enthusiastic settlements.

Szendrő Upper Castle

Szendrő Felső vár

The first mention of the settlement of Szendrő dates back to 1312. Presumably 5 castles were built in the settlement (Korai vár, Alsó vár / Csáky kastély, Huszitavár, Németvár, Felsővár). Sándor Cselenfi’s son, royal castle lord János, was first mentioned in 1355, when the (early) castle already stood and was in the hands of the king.

Aggtelek National Park

Aggteleki Nemzeti Park

The Aggtelek National Park (ANP) is the fourth national park in Hungary, established in 1985 from the Aggtelek Landscape Protection Area. It was the first national park in the country to be established specifically to protect geological values. The main area of the park is the Aggtelek Mountains.

Martonyi Monastery

Martonyi Pálos Kolostor

The Martonyi monastery ruin is a unique monument in Hungary. From an architectural point of view, this facility is the best preserved memory of the only Hungarian-founded order of monks. The Pauline order was founded around 1250 by Özséb (a hermit from the canons of Esztergom).

Lake Rakacai

Rakacai-tó víztározó

Anyone who travels to the Bódva Valley cannot miss the largest artificial reservoir in Hungary, which inflates the water of the Rakaca stream. The lake is a paradise for anglers with great catches due to the calm environment and beautiful scenery.

Rudabánya Mine Lake

Rudabánya Bánya-tó

The latest landmark of Rudabánya is the last workplace of the former open-cast iron ore mine, the mine lake created at the junction of Vilmos and Andrássy II. mining part. At first, a larger and a smaller stagnant water was formed, then as the water level rose, the two lakes merged and reached their present, roughly stabilized extent.

Abod village

Abod község

The settlement of Abod is located at the junction of the Szendrő Mountains and the Cserehát, in a valley gorge called the Nagy-Csákány-lápa. The village most likely already existed in the 1200s. The name of the settlement Abod can be derived from the personal name Aba. It is mentioned in medieval diplomas as Vyobod (Újabod), Abád, Oboud, Opud, Obad.

Galvács village

Galvács község

The first written mention of the village is in the papal tithe register of 1332 as KALOACH. In the 16th century charters, the Galwacz spelling and later the Galvats spelling were used. The name is supposed to mean a man of Slavic origin and a big head. The current one, “the region of the three springs”, is certainly the third place in the village.

Szalonna village

Szalonna község

The town of Szalonna was first mentioned in 1249 as Zolouna. The name of the village is of Slavic origin, derived from the word slano meaning “salt water”, which refers to a source of hot water from the northern border of the village. The settlement was once the residence of a branch of the conquering Örsúr clan. The most important monument of the settlement is the XI. Árpádian-era round church without a tower.

Telekes Valley

Telekes Völgy

During the rainy period, the rock gorge called Telekes Valley offers an unforgettable sight. The valley crosses the Rudabánya Mountains between Alsótelekes and the Bódva Valley. The most beautiful section of the romantic gorge valley is the “Devil’s Dam” rock and its immediate surroundings.

Csorbakő

Csorba kő

The medieval Csorbakő castle was built at the end of one of the northeastern ridges of Nagy-hegy on the border of Szuhogy. In 1928, an ice age cave was discovered on the north side of the castle hill, where several little or no silver-plated copper slabs were found.

Charcoal burner

Faszénégető

Many believe that the world-famous science of coal burning comes from the village of Áron Tamási, Farkaslaka. The use of charcoal increased in the last decades of the 19th century, when it was conquered as a finer canvas than before: the gyolcs, the canvas, the chiffon.